Welcome to Tools We Love, where we highlight some of the tools that make us more efficient, productive, and effective in our businesses. Have a tool that you want to share with the community? Email us! Today’s tool we love: PopupAlly!
Which email marketing platform to choose. The best social media platform for business owners. Which planner to use at the beginning of each year. And...whether or not to use a pop-up. These are just a few of the things that cause great debate amongst solo business owners around the world. (And...the types of things that make us think, “You know you’re a solopreneur when…”)
Installing a pop-up has dramatically increased our conversion rate for email sign ups. Want proof? As we mention in Building Your Online Community, we credit the combination of a pop-up (installed 5/19/2014) and our opt-in freebie (promoted 6/1/2014) with this little increase in our subscribers:
And given that our email list is one of our top sources of sales, collaborations, and more, we’ve found it to be worth the risk of potentially irritating a minor subset of our website visitors in order to best serve our community.
Our weapon of choice? PopupAlly from Nathalie Lussier (who you might recognize from 100 Best Sites for Solopreneurs) and her husband, Robin, who together make up the AmbitionAlly team.
Some of our favorite things about PopupAlly
- The free version is extremely robust, but there’s a paid upgrade if you need more
- You can choose between an exit-intent pop-up (it triggers when a website visitor is about to leave the site) and a time delayed pop-up
- It syncs with popular email marketing platforms, like Mailchimp, Aweber, and yes, ConvertKit
- It’s super easy to customize the look of your pop-up so that it reflects your brand
- You can create two pop-ups with the free version, which means you can have both an overall pop-up, as well as a targeted one (we did this on our 100 Best Sites for Solopreneurs page to increase downloads of our Road to Solopreneur Success ebook)
- You can split test two different pop-ups to track conversion rate (only with the pro version)
- The AmbitionAlly website is chockful of best practices for pop-ups. In fact, we would wager a bet that you can find the answer to any question you have about PopUpAlly or pop-ups
Limitations + drawbacks
To be honest? As of right now, we can’t think of any limitations of PopupAlly, so we’ll just say this: The biggest “problem” is that we can’t do absolutely everything we’d like to do with the free version. But, as fellow business owners, we really can’t complain about a company providing an awesome free version and then trying to upsell to a paid version. More power to ‘em for roping us in so effectively and making us loyal fans!
How to get started with PopupAlly
- Head here to download the paid PopupAlly plugin for $97 or search for PopupAlly under plugins on WordPress (Not sure which to choose? Here’s a helpful rundown in chart form)
Even for those self-proclaimed “tech-illiterate” solopreneurs, we can pretty much guarantee that you’ll be up and running with a pop up in no time when you use PopupAlly pro. (We can say this, because we might just be those people…)
PS -- In case you were wondering, we also like to riff on our favorite email marketing apps, social media platforms, and planners.
PPS -- A popup is just one of the tools we use to build our online community. Want more tried-and-true methods? Click below.
Just a head's up: As you might've guessed, we are affiliates of PopupAlly -- we promote the platform because we love it!