Welcome to Tools We Love, where we highlight some of the tools that make us more efficient, productive, and effective in our businesses. Have a tool that you want to share with the community? Email us! Today’s tool we love: PopupAlly!
Which email marketing platform to choose. The best social media platform for business owners. Which planner to use at the beginning of each year. And...whether or not to use a pop-up. These are just a few of the things that cause great debate amongst solo business owners around the world. (And...the types of things that make us think, “You know you’re a solopreneur when…”)
Installing a pop-up has dramatically increased our conversion rate for email sign ups. Want proof? As we mention in Building Your Online Community, we credit the combination of a pop-up (installed 5/19/2014) and our opt-in freebie (promoted 6/1/2014) with this little increase in our subscribers:
And given that our email list is one of our top sources of sales, collaborations, and more, we’ve found it to be worth the risk of potentially irritating a minor subset of our website visitors in order to best serve our community.
Some of our favorite things about PopupAlly
- The free version is extremely robust, but there’s a paid upgrade if you need more
- You can choose between an exit-intent pop-up (it triggers when a website visitor is about to leave the site) and a time delayed pop-up
- It syncs with popular email marketing platforms, like Mailchimp, Aweber, and yes, ConvertKit
- It’s super easy to customize the look of your pop-up so that it reflects your brand
- You can create two pop-ups with the free version, which means you can have both an overall pop-up, as well as a targeted one (we did this on our 100 Best Sites for Solopreneurs page to increase downloads of our Road to Solopreneur Success ebook)
- You can split test two different pop-ups to track conversion rate (only with the pro version)
- The AmbitionAlly website is chockful of best practices for pop-ups. In fact, we would wager a bet that you can find the answer to any question you have about PopUpAlly or pop-ups
Limitations + drawbacks
To be honest? As of right now, we can’t think of any limitations of PopupAlly, so we’ll just say this: The biggest “problem” is that we can’t do absolutely everything we’d like to do with the free version. But, as fellow business owners, we really can’t complain about a company providing an awesome free version and then trying to upsell to a paid version. More power to ‘em for roping us in so effectively and making us loyal fans!
How to get started with PopupAlly
- Head here to download the paid PopupAlly plugin for $97 or search for PopupAlly under plugins on WordPress (Not sure which to choose? Here’s a helpful rundown in chart form)
Even for those self-proclaimed “tech-illiterate” solopreneurs, we can pretty much guarantee that you’ll be up and running with a pop up in no time when you use PopupAlly pro. (We can say this, because we might just be those people…)
PPS -- A popup is just one of the tools we use to build our online community. Want more tried-and-true methods? Click below.
Just a head's up: As you might've guessed, we are affiliates of PopupAlly -- we promote the platform because we love it!