We have a confession to make: We (Sara and Cristina) love working out. An important addition to that confession is this: We never thought we’d say that.
It goes without saying that getting our sweat on at the beginning, in the middle, or at the end of the day almost always means a better day overall, and, as solopreneurs who could easily work for 12 hours without coming up for air, we know how important it is to get our
asses butts moving. (For the good of our own sanity, as well as our relationships with others.)
Getting to the gym isn’t always easy, though. There are the days where the weather isn’t conducive to going outside, let alone driving anywhere. There are the days when the gym’s hours don’t match your ideal schedule, or you only have 15 minutes and it’ll be entirely sucked up by the commute there. Then, there are the days where you and your yoga pants simply don’t feel like leaving the house. But that doesn’t mean a workout is completely out of reach.
After being asked for recommendations by a coaching client (and looking to add some flavor into our own at-home workout routines), we turned to our trusted OWS members for their favorite YouTube channels and resources -- and boy, did they ever respond. Check out the list of (mostly free) resources below, and get inspired to get your sweat on. Let’s get to it, shall we?
For those seeking inner peace
Practicing yoga throughout the day can bring a new level of calm to your chaos. Oh -- and it’s a reason to lay flat on the ground for a solid ten minutes in the middle of the day. (Thank you, savasana.) Namaste.
- Yoga with Adriene: Adriene’s YouTube Channel includes a 30-day Yoga Camp, as well as video sequences for beginners, for weight loss, and more. Oh -- and she’s pretty entertaining, too (goofy with a side of snark!). Price: free
- Tara Stiles: Equally as popular is Tara Stiles, whose playlists range from “Beginners” to “Bed Time” to “Hotel Yoga,” with lots in between. Price: free
- YogaGlo: YogaGlo includes a variety of classes -- many from well-known instructors -- and takes into account all levels of yogis. Price: $18/month
For those who want to get their dance on
Many (okay, maybe all) of our midday breaks include some sort of dancing -- and no, we’re not very coordinated.
- Zumba Fitness: The channel that invites you to “turn up the bass.” For those of us who don’t necessarily want to shake our hips in a class full of strangers, we can do so in the comfort of our own home. We’d like to add this: It’s an excuse to listen to Latin remixes of Bieber. Yep, we said it. Price: free
- Kathryn Morgan: You don’t necessarily need pointe shoes to get your ballet going at home. Kathryn’s a former soloist in the New York City Ballet, and her barre workouts range from “easy” (it’s all relative, of course) to challenging. Price: free
- Jasmine Meakin: Flash back to your middle school days, when you’d set up the camcorder and record your own rendition of *N Sync’s Bye Bye Bye music video. (Wait, was that just Sara?) To rekindle that fun, check out Jasmine’s channel, full of choreographed dances from celebs. Price: free
For those looking to carry some weight
Dwight might call out “weak arms” as a “defect” amongst women on The Office, but we’d beg to differ. Sun’s out, guns out, are we right?
- Fitness Blender: There’s no shortage of bodyweight videos at the Fitness Blender -- and you can search workouts by type, length, difficulty, muscles used, and calorie burn. Don’t miss the playlist with 124 workouts that can be done in 10 minutes or less. Quickie? Yes, please. Price: free
- MyoMy.tv: Marianne’s all about the weights, so her channels are best if you’re sporting a set of kettlebells, handweights, or other strength trainers at home. Price: free
For those who are all about that core
Six-pack abs might not be everyone’s dream, but we’re not sure who would complain about them, either.
- Blogilates/POP Pilates: “Train like a beast. Look like a beauty.” Well, okay. Cassey Ho brings no shortage of workout videos (usually short!) to get your core, legs, and arms burning (and really makes you redefine plain ol’ pilates). Price: free
- Pilates Anytime: The name isn’t joking -- with over 2,000 videos, this YouTube channel helps you do a variety of different pilates workouts anytime, anywhere. Price: free
For those who want to walk it out
We are all about the Wisdom Walks -- getting outside to walk it out, but there’s nothing wrong with bringing that right into your living room.
- Leslie Sansone Walk at Home: Walk a 15 minute mile, rotating between four movements: forward kick, back kick, walk up, walk back. Longer videos have you walking up to five miles, and get a bit more intense (think: lunges). Be warned: Leslie can be a bit corny, but we have fun with it. Price: $4.99/month
For those who want it all
There’s nothing that keeps us from getting our sweat on like a stale workout routine. Who says we can’t have it all?
- POPSUGAR Fitness: Awesome variety, from weights to yoga to kickboxing, and more. Check out the playlist “Class FitSugar” (over 200 videos) or scan a plethora of other playlists. Price: free
- Tone It Up: Karena and Katrina are well known for a reason -- just watching the intro video on their YouTube home page will have you jonesing for a workout (and the beach). Price: free
- Be FiT: The variety here isn’t just in the types of workouts -- it’s in the trainers, too. Jillian Michaels is one of many -- and that lady will kick your butt. Price: free
- The Daily Burn: This is for the person who seriously wants it all -- The Daily Burn customizes your workout plan and features workout series from names like Bob Harper, Anja Garcia, and Ben Booker. Price: $12/month
Sweat it out
You don’t have to leave the house to get your heart pumpin’. Throw on that sports bra (or don’t -- it’s up to you) and get your sweat on right at home, you ass-kicking solopreneur, you.
How do you incorporate exercise into your day when you can’t (or don’t want to) leave the house? Tell us in the comments below!
PS -- A huge thank you to OWSer Monica Froese for asking the question and fellow members Abigail Murrish, Heather Witkop, Mallie Hart, Brittany Berger, Jill Dretzka, Shay Orlena Brown, Sara Lloyd, and Julienne DesJardins for sharing how they get their moves on at home!
PPS -- Want to follow all of these channels in one place? Check out our YouTube subscriptions list!