Each day, we work with fellow One Woman Shops taking their solo businesses to the next level. (How lucky are we?!) We love getting glimpses into how others run their businesses, so we thought it only fair to show you how we run ours! Without further ado, we present to you: our last behind-the-scenes recap of 2015!
Things that we made happen in December:
- A full business audit (9 hours on video calls, countless cups of coffees, and only one shared mental breakdown!). Full recap coming soon!
- An 18-day #SolopreneurSanity Instagram challenge with prompts like “meditation station,” “eat it,” “walk it out,” and “sleep it off” (yeahhh, we had some fun both coming up with those + responding to them)
- Gave back by buying a bike for a girl in Guatemala (which combined some of our favorite things: helping women, supporting education, biking, and Guatemala) + reinvesting our Kiva loans
- Hot Seat chats about…
- Onboarded a virtual assistant and a social media manager and starting work with a coach -- so far, we’re thrilled with all three!
- Finished our 60-page Solopreneur Sanity draft and sent it off to our designer to be laid out
How we connected with fellow OWS-ers:
- Chose two Members of the Week at random
- Held our December #OWSchat on solopreneur sanity with Nicole Liloia
- Hosted three members-only virtual coworking sessions on Google Hangout
- Hosted a Rainy Day Circle amongst our members to spread the holiday cheer
Fun additions to the Rainy Day File:
- These words from a new Coffee member: “The One Woman Shop community gave me the inspiration and extra confidence I needed to quit my day job to pursue my graphic design side-gig full time. Even more importantly, this community has been an amazing source of information on starting a new business and best practices to keep it running. If you’re launching a business by yourself, the small investment is beyond worth it for the connections and resources you will gain.”
- These words from a new Espresso member (in reference to our monthly accountability group): "Seriously you ladies are the best, I feel like having that accountability was a huge factor in getting it done!"
Where we struggled:
- Making peace with the fact that Solopreneur Sanity took much longer than we expected to wrap up
- Reminding ourselves that systems set up for two people don’t necessarily translate to systems for a team
Most popular posts:
- Still popular: 5 Best Planners for Creative Solopreneurs (+ the 2016 remix)
- Newly popular: Why You Need a “Goodbye” Package for Your Clients
- Oldie but goodie: So You Wanna be a...Professional Speaker
Where we’re mentioned -- a huge thanks to:
- Cloudpeeps: 20 top newsletters freelancers should subscribe to now
- Best Kept Self: Top 12 blogs entrepreneurs should add to their reader for 2016
What we’re most looking forward to in January:
- The long-awaited (at least for us!) launch of Solopreneur Sanity
- A brand-spanking new calendar of 2016 monthly themes
- Getting started on big new ideas (some might call them legendary…)
Song on repeat:
- Cristina: Sorry -- Latino Remix (Justin Bieber + J Balvin)
- Sara: *N Sync - Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays (the whole album, let’s be serious)
- We have two new wallpaper freebies in honor of Solopreneur Sanity: “get comfortable with the chaos” and “Is this helpful?”
This time last year we were:
- Talking about how to effectively use testimonials on your website
- Hosting our first-ever #OWSchat (which, after a great year, we’re putting on hiatus in 2016)
- Wishing you all happy holidays!
A quick note from Sara: This month flew by, to say the least! I'm incredibly excited about all the things happening at OWS, and am happy to say that this is perhaps the most sane I've ever stayed during December/the holidays -- which I fully credit to practicing what we're preaching in Solopreneur Sanity! A few other highlights: I won a standing desk from a fellow solopreneur that I can't wait to use, treated myself to a holiday massage, and got to spend much needed time with all three of my nieces (and my "puppy" who turned 13 this month). So much to be grateful for 🙂
A quick note from Cristina: Work-wise, I’m thrilled about all of the above, especially wrapping up Solopreneur Sanity (I know I’ll be referring to it many times myself!). Outside of work, it was a fun month -- pulled off a surprise party for my roommate, took a weekend trip to Xela (where I enjoyed meeting great people, hiking up to a beautiful laguna, and relaxing in hot springs), and had a fun night out in the city. I just renewed my lease on my house in Antigua, Guatemala, so I’ll be in this beautiful city for at least six more months! For the holidays, I’m heading to Mexico (Mexico City, Puebla, + Oaxaca) with my mom -- excited for lots of mother/daughter bonding over coffee and food 🙂 After that, back to the States for a bit to host a “Weekend in the Woods” bachelorette party for my sister (I’m honored to be her maid of honor -- get it?!).